In the past two years, stakeholders' activates that support the Enterprise's Scientific Strategic Plan have helped move the Enterprise from a planning phase to one of implementation. Section I of the Enterprise Report of Activities 2005-2007 describes the important work being done by several key Enterprise stakeholders to align many of their activities and launch new projects to address the priority areas described in the Scientific Strategic Plan. Examples of stakeholder activities include:
- The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) has created the Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology (CHAVI), a consortium of 95 investigators in 36 institutions in 8 countries.
- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has supported creation of the Collaboration for AIDS Vaccine Discovery (CAVD), a network of 16 research consortia, with more than 180 investigators in 22 different countries.
- The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) has expanded its Neutralizing Antibody Consortium (NAC), created a consortium to address correlates of immunity, and established an AIDS Vaccine Development Laboratory.
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and the World Health Organization (WHO) are preparing principles for community engagement and revising ethical guidelines for clinical research.
- The European Commission (EC) is supporting several cooperative HIV research projects, including the EUROPRISE network that brings together vaccine and microbicide researchers.
- The European & Developing Countries Clinical Trial Partnership (EDCTP) is strengthening clinical trials capacity through multi-center projects in Africa.
- The Wellcome Trust supports a variety of HIV vaccine research projects consistent with priorities identified in the SSP and is convening scientists to discuss novel approaches to vaccine design.
- The French National Agency for Research on AIDS and Viral Hepatitis (ANRS) is funding research on a variety of HIV vaccine approaches within the scope of the SSP.
- The AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition (AVAC) provides policy, advocacy and community perspectives and helps connect civil society to the work of the Enterprise.